Curtains or drapes?
Curtains and drapes have many uses. They block light and sound, heat and cold. Moreover, they can be very decorative and add character to a room.
What is the difference between the two? There are three types of curtains – the sash curtain, the draw curtain and drapery. A draw curtain blocks out the light. A sash curtain is used to filter light. Drapery is purely decorative. In olden days, a valance was used to hide the hardware that holds the drapes in place. These days, only formal rooms use draperies.
In the modern home, the sash curtains are what homeowners often use. Swags are fabrics that really serve no specific function but as pure décor and could give a room a dramatic effect.
There are many treatment options to windows using curtains and drapery that you may choose from.
- Hang just curtains of sheer fabric like lace, silk, nylon, or cotton.
- Hang blinds and place a curtain or drapery over it.
- Underneath draw drapery made of velvet, chintz, linen or silk, you may hang a curtain of a lighter shade of same color.
- On a decorative pole, you may hang draw draperies.
- You could likewise use swags over curtains or blinds to make the room a little more dramatic.
- You may still use a cornice or valance on top of any or all of these window treatments to cover hardware.
There are endless possibilities. You may even make certain combinations of these elements that would make your windows look a lot better than it did yesterday.
You may play with all kinds of fabrics that can provide the right ambience to your room.
Generally, long curtains give a more formal and dignified look. Shorter lengths are more relaxed and casual. It would be up to you what kind of look you want to achieve. Some points to consider:
- Curtains should just be touching the floor in formal rooms.
- You may create a romantic ambience in a room when you use extra-long and elegant curtains that puddle on the floor.
- Kitchen curtains are only up to the sill, or to the bottom of the apron or window trim Important! Never hang curtains of any length near a stove!
- Draperies that are floor length gives a certain kind of stateliness in dens or family rooms.
- Curtains that end just at the top of floor moldings look awkward. Try to fix problem by simply lowering the curtains to floor length.
Where to buy
They offer a wide collection of curtains and drapes that suit your budget. Check each website’s shipping and returns policies.
Refurbishing your home is easy on a tight budget. You only need to plan before you go out there to make a purchase.